Paradigm Initiative (PIN) is a non-profit social enterprise that builds ICT-enabled support systems for young people, in order to improve their livelihoods. Two of PIN’s programs focus on digital inclusion while the third focuses on digital rights advocacy. Paradigm Initiative’s digital rights advocacy program is focused on the development of public policy for internet freedom in key regions of Africa. Our policy advocacy efforts include media campaigns, coalition building, capacity building, research and report-writing.
To oversee all internal and external communications for Paradigm Initiative while ensuring our message is consistent and engaging. The main duties include managing our digital platforms, including website, social media accounts, email and other dissemination tools. The successful candidate will publish and promote marketing, editorial and fundraising content/campaigns on our digital platforms and across social media. The Communications Manager will be a member of PIN’s Leadership Team, supporting strategic oversight of the organisation’s operations.
This position is also responsible for maintaining Paradigm Initiative’s partner database and providing regular communications with partners. It involves preparing detailed media reports, press releases, and marketing materials; coordinating and delivering resources and processes in support of media and communications; researching, writing, editing and publishing information about Paradigm Initiative to be used for internal publications for employees, management, partners, volunteers and the public.
Chief Operating Officer
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Publish a variety of digital content with a focus on producing engaging web pages that are visually appealing and provide an overall rich experience for partners and visitors. Manage all postings to ensure content is on-brand and search- and social-optimized.
- Timely response to the communications needs of team members and the giving of timely updates regarding any ongoing project.
- Produce all email campaigns, solicit content from internal sources, and manage review, testing, and sending.
- Lead digital execution and participate in digital advocacy—across email, website, print and social media—of programmes and projects across offices and Regions throughout the year.
- Develop and execute social and print media campaigns for key days, themes, and priority upcoming content.
- Create content for social media accounts and post regularly on each account.
- Manage social ad campaigns and other promotions; track and share results for continuous improvement to targeting and segments.
- Promote new content, key pages, and calls-to-action across channels. Position content to target different segments and to fit the format and publishing requirements of each platform
- Coordinate and support communications projects, outreach, and products as needed
- Support team members in the translation of documents and other communications from English to French and vice versa.
- Proofread and coordinate production of communications materials
2. Financial Management
- Manage allocated budgets for all tasks and cost-effective maintenance of digital assets
- Raise funds for the organization through the deployment of digital media skills and through relevant grant opportunities
- Monitor the social media networks for grants and funding opportunities for the Organization
3. Business and Media Management
- Develop and implement long term and project-based communications strategies.
- Develop and produce content to engage and educate audiences across various channels including newsletters, blogs, graphics, website, social media
- Develop and execute social media activities across multiple channels
- Oversee the development and maintenance of PIN’s website
- Contribute to overall digital content strategy and inform the calendar of upcoming topics, news and milestones, and external opportunities to guide content planning.
- Research and collect information and data for content and communications strategy
- Help manage and drive events including developing email invitations and managing invitation lists
- Seek regular opportunities for the Leadership Team to engage with major foundations, corporate partners, and other organizations on social media and curate up-to-date lists of key accounts.
- Compile and maintain media and community database
- Create and update marketing materials and documents in support of fundraising, grants, projects and programs
- Organize online events, perform outreach and marketing, create social sharing toolkits, manage “day of” social media and more
- Be responsible for managing PIN’s Digital Rights and Inclusion Media Fellowship
- Identify and research media outlets, producers, editors and reporters towards making them receptive to PIN’s message
- Track and record media mentions related to Paradigm Initiative’s work
- Ensure adequate media coverage for all program activities and functions in electronic and print media, and on digital media platforms
- Identify good stories and exercise good storytelling skills
- Other projects as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mass Communication, Public Relations, Journalism or any other related field
- Proven experience with communications research and strategy, media relations, content development for various audiences, digital engagement best practices
- At least 7 years of relevant communications experience; digital communications experience is highly preferred
- Experience publishing content on WordPress, Squarespace or other CMS
- Proven experience managing digital media advertising for social campaigns
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must be a strong communicator; have excellent written, presentation and oral communications in both English and French
- Attention to details and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage time, deliverables and meet deadlines
- Must be a creative and strategic thinker with good judgement and ability to make independent decisions in a changing environment
- Software skills desired – WordPress, SquareSpace, MailChimp (or similar email service provider), offline and cloud-based productivity tools
- Flexibility and ability to work collaboratively with others especially other team members
- Good understanding of ICT issues and policies in Africa
How to apply
Send a one-page statement of interest, in English, with your recent CV attached to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application will be open till October 30, 2020, but it will be filled as soon as we find the right fit. If you think you are the right fit, do not delay in sending in your application.