Paradigm Initiative (PIN) is a social enterprise that builds ICT-enabled support systems and advocates for digital rights in order to improve livelihoods for underserved African youth. Our programs include digital inclusion programs – such as the Life Skills. ICT. Financial Readiness. Entrepreneurship (LIFE) training program and the Dufuna program – and a digital rights program. PIN’s operational headquarters is in Lagos, Nigeria, and maintains digital inclusion offices across Nigeria (Aba, Ajegunle, Kano) and digital rights offices in Yaounde, Cameroon; Accra, Ghana; Abuja, Nigeria; Arusha, Tanzania and Lusaka, Zambia.
The Program Officer will lead Paradigm Initiative’s Digital Rights advocacy efforts in the East African region. She (or he) will demonstrate competence in policy intervention, research, stakeholder management, capacity building, fundraising, all focused on the Digital Rights program in the region. The ideal candidate will have great interpersonal relationship skills and will work with the Communications team to ensure publicity and adequate communication on PIN’s various activities and interventions in the region.
Senior Program Manager (Digital Rights)
Roles and Responsibilities
- Conduct desk research concerning ICT Policy issues with focus on digital rights issues: i.e. reviewing bills, laws, policies and government action which violate digital rights in countries in East Africa, as well as incidents which violate digital rights in these countries such as but not limited to arrests for comments made online, restriction of access online, Internet content blocking/throttling/take-downs, Internet shutdowns, Net neutrality violations, enacting of legislation and policies which violate digital rights, etc.
- Provide expertise and counseling on regional and global policies in accordance with international best practices in order to ensure maximum output
- Engage relevant national, regional and global institutions on digital rights issues for East Africa focused on digital rights issues such as but not limited to freedom of expression, data privacy, censorship, surveillance, etc.
- Participate in public hearings of ICT-related policies and ensure contribution/inputs
- Representing Paradigm Initiative in meetings and conferences as required
- Help in setting up meetings between policymakers and PI to discuss such needs as may arise regarding legislation or policies that affect Internet Freedom in concerned countries.
- Monitor digital rights violations and developments in the region and work with the team to document, communicate and seek redress for violations, where necessary
- Producing materials for communications advocacy including but not limited to policy briefs, fact-sheets, infographics, press releases, newsletters, etc.
- Assist in organizing and coordinating digital rights advocacy or relevant internet policy development training
- Fund (and other resources’) mobilization for the Digital Rights program
- Share daily news reviews and recommendations for action
- Share relevant ICT policy updates daily on Twitter, Facebook, etc.
- Submit weekly/monthly/final reports/event reports and others as might be requested/required by your line manager
- Support logistics needs and assume responsibilities that may be assigned to you during events, meetings, workshop, convenings hosted by Paradigm Initiative in any part of the world.
Key Result Areas
- Train media, civil society, activists, at-risk citizens, policymakers and relevant stakeholders on digital rights in the East Africa region
- Advocate for, and communicate around, digital rights issues in the East Africa region
- Engage relevant national, regional and global institutions for digital rights issues in the East Africa region
- Promote best practice policy efforts and instruments in the East Africa region
- Mobilize funds for the Digital Rights program, especially in the East Africa region
- Develop and implement policies that enhance the organization’s output and services
- Undertake other tasks in accordance with job expectations
- Be a leading voice in policy conversation in the region
Research/ Policy Analysis
- Produce blogs on topical issues in Digital Rights in the region
- Produce at least two country reports for the Digital Rights in Africa report
- Author or co-author at least one policy brief in a year
- Support other research efforts within the organization and/or with our partners
- Host a quarterly policy review session to analyse, critique and make recommendations on relevant draft or existing legislation, policy or regulation.
- Provide weekly social media content to the Communications team
- Work with the Communications to commission and execute media campaigns
Stakeholder / Media Relations
- Initiate and maintain relationship with leading digital rights defenders, policymakers, journalists/ media houses and other relevant stakeholders in the region, working with the Communications team to ensure relationships are leveraged optimally
- In partnership with the Communications team, ensure adequate coverage of events and activities in the media
Financial Management / Sponsorship
- Manage budget and ensure accurate financial reporting to the Finance and Assets Unit
- Increased interest in sponsorship through a proactive grant application process
Salaries and Benefits
Commensurate with experience, plus other benefits such as health insurance, pension contributions, communication allowance, sabbatical leave, paid leave, maternity/paternity leave, dependent relative allowance and 13th-month salary.
How To Apply
Apply via this FORM (https://forms.gle/zrqmDaYoSA9wURQB7)
March 13, 2020 (Do apply immediately, if you are interested in the role, as applications will be reviewed as received, and candidates may be shortlisted and interviewed before the closing date.)