Countries: Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal
Paradigm Initiative (PIN) strives to connect underserved young Africans to digital opportunities and ensure their rights are protected. In our regional offices in Cameroon, Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal, Zambia, Zimbabwe and beyond, we work to connect underserved young Africans to improved livelihoods through our digital inclusion and digital rights programs. Our programs include ICT skills building, financial preparation, entrepreneurship training program (LIFE), and a digital rights advocacy program that promotes adoption of human rights respecting ICT policy and legislation.
The project on Artificial Intelligence aims to influence the consideration of human rights in Artificial Intelligence (AI) processes in Africa, at national and regional levels, as well as to stimulate conversations with relevant stakeholders. The African Commission on Human and Peoples ‘Rights recently adopted a resolution on “the need to undertake a study on human and peoples’ rights and artificial intelligence (AI), robotics and other new and emerging technologies in Africa “in order to understand the full impact of these technologies on human rights. It is on this backdrop that the project aims to raise awareness of and influence policy processes currently being developed on the continent. The project will focus on Kenya, Nigeria and Senegal and is aimed at stakeholders in civil society organizations, technical communities, business entities deploying technology and policy makers in ministries responsible for information and communication technologies amongst others.
The project aims to achieve the following objectives:
- Influence the drafting / reform of a rights-respecting AI policy in Africa.
- Raise awareness of the need to take human rights into account in artificial intelligence processes.
Description of the Assignment and Deliverables:
Paradigm Initiative seeks the services of three consultants to conduct research activities in Kenya, Nigeria and Senegal and present findings at dissemination roundtables. As part of this assignment, the consultant will be responsible for country specific deliverables:
- Conduct a stakeholder map of AI actors in the target country
- An electronic fact sheet developed in English or French.
- 1 policy brief to inform policy reforms in the target countrie(s) in English or French.
- Organise a virtual stakeholders roundtable with 45 stakeholders engaged on rights-respecting AI policy
- Organise a face to face policy roundtable with a total of 30 policymakers engaged on rights-respecting AI policy
The work to be performed shall run from July 2021 – October 2021.
Profile and Competence:
- University degree or greater in social sciences, law or other related fields.
- Experience in policy development with in-depth knowledge and understanding of legal and regulatory frameworks related to digital rights and ICTs
- Demonstrated experience in digital rights research, experience researching on Artificial Intelligence in Africa will be an advantage
- Sophisticated understanding and experience in analyzing issues of regulation and supervision of artificial intelligence through the prism of the growing digital technological landscape in Africa and the supervision of artificial intelligence in the context of the growth of the world, digital technology landscape in Africa.
- Excellent writing abilities in English or French and able to carry conversations at stakeholders roundtables
Full CVs (with references) demonstrating qualifications, previous work experience and technical competencies to perform this assignment
- Reference letter (if any)
- At least one (1) sample work (link or attachments)
Method of Submission: Please fill this form: https://bit.ly/3w7bx4v
Please submit proposals and portfolio information on the above link by 25th June 2021 by midnight West African Time (WAT).
Conditions of Proposal:
All costs incurred in the preparation of a proposal responding to this RFP will be the responsibility of the Applicant and will not be reimbursed by Paradigm Initiative.
Any questions regarding this RFP should be directed to email@example.com
For more information about PIN, visit https://wwww.paradigmhq.org